What kind of medicines should I take for swollen throat glands, achy body and stuffy nose and am I contagious?
User rating for this question
Hi, I have swollen throat glands, achy body, sweats and shivers and runny/stuffy nose. I've had all this for about 2 days. What kind of medicines should i take and am I contagious? thank you
Posted Thu, 16 Jan 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: Likely viral infection Detailed Answer: Dear patient, Thanks for your query. The constellation of sysmptoms and the season make it very likely that you are suffering from an upper respiratory infection, most likely viral, and indeed contagious. Most of the contagion is through secretions, so appropiate sneezing, coughing and fluid handling techniques with hand washing are key. In terms of medications, all of them intend to treat symptoms and make you feel a bit better until your body gets rid of the infection. For pain, acetaminophen or ibuprofen are recommended; for congestion Benadryl or a similar antihistaminic with a decongestant such as pseudoephedrine or phenylephrine are great. For cough, dextrometorphan and guaifenesin. Many pills for "cold multisymptoms" contain combinations of these. Things should get better within 72 hours, if there is high fevers, worsening sore throat, or worsening symptoms despite rest and medications, then you should be reassessed as a bacterial infection may be also in the differential Hope that is helpful, wish you the best, Dr Brenes-Salazar MD Mayo Clinic MN
People also viewed
- Doh mrsa screening
- Dry throat achy body
- What are the side effects of carbinoxamine, hydrocodone, and phenylephrine?
- Swollen glands stuffy nose, headache, sore throat, achy
- Does lexapro increase dopamine
- Shoulder pain neck pain dizzy
- Serotonin vs dopamine vs norepinephrine
- Spot in throat and achy body
- Is fast heartbeat a side effect of esterified estrogens/methyltestosterone?
- Is swelling of hands, ankles, feet, or lower legs a side effect of dilt-xr?
- Is multiple swollen and inflamed skin lesions a side effect of depakote er?
- Is blistering, peeling, or loosening of the skin a side effect of cymbalta?
- Fludrocortisone dosage
- Swollen throat achy stuffy nose
- Sore throat gums achy body