What kind of mattress reduces back pain?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
sometime its high. It was more since I have changed my mattress to foam matress with 32 density. Now I am not using that matress and only using cotton matress. I want to know which type of mattress suits most for the backpain related problem?. I feel discomfort in cotton matress also but back pain is relatively less.
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 59 minutes later
For back pain, using a firm mattress is always recommended.
If you have the option, don’t use a branded mattress. Instead, have a foam-rubber company make you a 15 cm (6 inch) thick, extra-firm mattress. It’s less expensive than corrective mattresses and at least as firm and comfortable.
If you feel the discomfort in cotton mattress, try placing a duvet cover between the bed sheet and the mattress. This gives a softer surface. Cotton mattress is still the most widely used firm mattress.
Try to use a thin pillow while sleeping.
Also, maintain a proper posture while working, sitting and standing. Keep your back straight. If you work for long hours on the computer, the following link will tell you the posture to maintain while working:
WWW.WWWW.WW Back strengthening exercises will also help.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.