What kind of food can I give for my daughter suffering from epilepsy and Focal cortical dysplasia?

Hello Doctor, My daughter is 9 yrs old and she is suffering from epilipsy from past 18 months. She got fits like eyes blinking and hands and legs shaking also frequent jerks in arms and legs. As per MRI doctors mentioned that is "Focal cortical dysplasia type 1b (FCD). Medicines suggested Valparin chrono 200 mg twice daily & Laboze 5 mg once at bed time. I would like to know: 1. How long this medicine is required to use to control the fits 2. What kind of food is helpful for FCD and epilipsy 3. How to control the weight of my daughter (in 2 months she put on 3 kgs weight with this medicine) Kindly advice.
Posted Sun, 26 Jan 2014 in Epilepsy
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 39 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detail Follows Detailed Answer: Dear Friend Welcome to XXXXXXX Focal cortical dysplasia is a common cause of intractable epilepsy in children. I will try to answer your questions one by one 1. DURATION OF TREATMENT - As it is a common cause of refractory epilepsy , it requires LIFE LONG Treatment usually. If the treatment is working you should be happy because in many cases , drug therapies fail. If anti-convulsants fail to control seizure activity, neurosurgery may be an option to remove or disconnect the abnormal cells from the rest of the brain. You have to be mentally prepared for a life long treatment. However , few doctors , give a trial to stop the therapy , after 2 years of seizure free life. They gradually taper the dose , and eventually stop it. If the seizure activity occurs , drug therapy has to be resumed. But , i personally don't prefer to give such trials in my patients of FCD. I advice them a life long therapy , and to accept the medicines as a routine part of there life like eating , playing. So , you are the one who has to counsel your daughter for this. 2. DIET - About diet in epilepsy patient , no as such diet is strongly recommended , but many studies and trials suggest high-fat and very low-carbohydrate diet, known as a ketogenic diet. 3. WEIGHT GAIN - It is a significant side effect of anti epileptic medications. Nothing much can be done on that part , however , after a few months of therapy , weight stabilizes and does not increase. Motivate her for indoor exercises and games. I know my answer doesn't carry any good news for you , but facts can not be changed. I hope i am able to solve your query , still if you have any query , you may please ask me.
Follow-up: What kind of food can I give for my daughter suffering from epilepsy and Focal cortical dysplasia? 10 minutes later
Thank You Sir. I would like to ask one more question which I forgot earlier. As I mention my daughter is getting jerks for hand fingers and legs as and when immediately after she slept in the night mostly and at the time at least 30 minutes before she ready to wake up in the morning. Though we are in medication Valprin etc., she is getting the jerks. 1)Does this medication won't reduce these jerks? 2) Doctor told not to take serious about these jerks? is it correct? kindly advise. Thanks in advance.
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: You can wait. Detailed Answer: Dear Friend. These jerks are a part of the disease. I personally wait for few months after the treatment , but if jerks are persistent or disturbing sleep , or making her awake from sleep. I treatment modification may be required. So , you may wait for a few weeks. If she gets disturbances because of that , consult your neurologist again for treatment revision. I wish she gets well soon. If you XXXXXXX not have any further query , you may please close the discussion and rate it.
Follow-up: What kind of food can I give for my daughter suffering from epilepsy and Focal cortical dysplasia? 2 hours later
Thank you sir. Sorry to bother you with one more question. This is regarding sleep and watching TV. My daughter is sleeping at least 10 hours in the night and some times 2 hrs in the day time when holidays. Is there any restriction in sleeping hours? Any harm if she watch TV or Computer for 1 hour? Thanks in advance.
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detail Follows Detailed Answer: I would not suggest sleeping of more then 8 hrs a day. She should sleep at fix time , like from 10pm to 6am. She should not sleep more than 30 min in a day as she would have difficulty in falling asleep by 10 in night. Regarding TV , it should be avoided. As it has shown to precipitate seizures. She should not drive , should not cross road alone. I wish she gets well soon.