What kind of cancer should I be screened for bowel obstruction?

I am a 57 year old male with a history of small bowel obstruction, over 60 at last count. Every time I am admitted with an obstruction and many times when my abdominal pain is thought not to be an obstruction I get a CT scan of my abdomen and pelvis. I checked my records and I have had almost 40 CT Scans, 100's of abdominal x-rays and twenty or so barium enemas. I am getting concerned about my long-term radiation exposure and the added risks. What kind of cancer should I be screened for and how do I get an ER Dr. to make a diagnosis of bowel obstruction without using a CT Scan?
Posted Sat, 25 Jan 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 1 hour later
Brief Answer: CT itself is diagnostic test Detailed Answer: Namasthe Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Non Hodgkins Lymphoma is the most common malignancy occuring in individual exposed to large dose of ionizing radiation like X-Ray. The malignancy in majority arises at the site of exposure. As you have had CT scan done repeatedly of the abdomen, CT itself is a diagnostic test to find out intra-abdominal malignancy. If the malignancy would have occured it would have been picked up by CT scan on previous occasions. As your prevoius CT scans are normal, there seems to be no cause for concern. Its advisable to avoid any form of further radiation exposure unless really required and considered very much necessary by the physician. As majority of the times, the clinician have not suspected the symptoms to be attributable to obstruction, CT scan carried out as routine is not advisable. The best way to diagnose Obstruction is good history and thorough clinical assessment by experienced Surgeon. Majority of the times diagnosis of Obstruction is clinical, which is usually confirmed by Erect X-Ray abdomen. None of the radiological test can substitute a good clinical assessment. In case you need any further assisstance, will be glad to assist you. Take Care Wishing you and your Family a Very Happy New Year 2014. Best Regards Dr T Shobha MBBS,MD