What is your opinion about recurring pus filled bumps?

ENT Specialist
Hi, I keep having recurring pus-filled bumps. Many of them are in my midriff area, some not significant, and some quite swollen & painful. I get them quite often under my arms. Most of those are very painful. As of three days ago, a festered bump appeared on my left upper arm, near my shoulder. It started out about the size of a pimple from an ant bite. Since then it has swollen very huge on my arm and is very fevered. Thanks for any info.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Follow-up: What is your opinion about recurring pus filled bumps? 27 minutes later
What is your opinion on this.
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 49 minutes later

Thanks for the query,

From the description of your symptoms it seems that you may be having pustules.

Let me tell you about the mechanism of formation of these pustules. Due to any trauma over the external skin, there occurs localized inflammation, that causes redness, itching, slight pain, raised temperature.( In your case it is the ant bite).

Now on constant rubbing it leads to abrasions, which if untreated converts into an abscess, which is pus filled sac covered my epithelium, the size may very.

The smaller abscesses are known as pustules. And it may be the condition from which you are suffering. One of the most important feature of abscess is fever.

Sometimes these microabscesses form spontaneously, in case of raised blood sugar, septicaemia etc.

The treatment options can be as follows:

Consult a general surgeon and get investigated thoroughly. This should include general blood count, random blood sugar, pus aspiration from the abscess and its culture and sensitivity.

You can see a dermatologist as well.

In the mean time you may take a course of antibiotics like cephalosporins which are best for soft tissue infections, along with supportive treatment like analgesics, anti inflammatory drugs. The course of antibiotic should be for a minimum of 5 to 7 days.

Once you get the Culture and Sensitivity reports of the Pus, Antibiotic can be changed accordingly.

Hope this will help you.

I will be available for further follow up queries if any.