What is wrong with me? Abdominal discomfort, bloating, bad taste in mouth, thirsty, tired, short of breath.

Ive had this disconfort for some time now in my upper left of my belly right below my rib cage. These days im feeling tired, short of breath after a few efforts, my belly is bloated, funny taste a bit in m mouth and soo thirsty. Blood test showed sedimentation rate 34, uree 19.45, creatinin 0.48, amylase 375. Whats wrong with me? The doc told me to take somthing called bilvit for my liver in the meanwhile. I feel like a have somthing enlammed inside of me in my upper left belly below the ribcage
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 3 hours later
Hi ,

At the outset I will have to state that the details provided are inadequate.

I would to know certain details before proceeding to reply.

1.The duration & type of pain seen.
2.Does the pain radiate.
3. Prior similar episodes.
4.Loss of appetite and weight.
5.Blood sugars, Hemoglobin level, USG (ultrasound)abdomen.

The normal range of amylase varies between laboratories and i presume your value is elevated (x 2 times) based on our reference value.

Left upper belly discomfort with breathlessness, excess thirst and an elevated amylase would point towards a pancreatic pathology. At your age chronic pancreatitis is more likely and a neoplastic lesion (cystic lesion or an endocrine origin) is rare.

The excess thirst could be a manifestation of raised blood sugars and the breathlessness can be a manifestation of anemia or a catabolic state. The bloated feeling is because of gut dismotility secondary to pancreatic inflammation. However this is usually associated with significant discomfort and loss of appetite.

It could also be secondary to a splenic (infarct) or gastric pathology (ulcer). However these are not associated with excess thirst or high amylase.

The other possibility is a pleural pathology (pleural effusion/ empyema - partially treated).

However further differentiation requires more information.

Hope i have answered your query.I will be available for follow up.
Follow-up: What is wrong with me? Abdominal discomfort, bloating, bad taste in mouth, thirsty, tired, short of breath. 1 hour later
I've been feelign like odd since last tuuesday cuz my urine was dark but when I did urine culture it waaas 0000 which thee doc said was borderline normal. Then started a pain in my back which left by now, now I feel the disconfort in my uppper belly below my ribcage. Thee other results of blood test are: red cells 4.5, hemoglobin 13.6. Hematocrite 41, mcv 91,mch 30.2,mchc 33.2, white cells 5.5, polyneeutrophilss 37, polyeosinophils 3, lymphocytes 60, sedimentation rate 34, glucose 80.7, h pylori negative, BUN 9.8. The pain doesn't radiaate it stays the same spot below my ribcagge. But if I press my belly like around my belly button it feels craampy. I don't have much of an appetite had some naausea which is gone by now. My stool test shows a giardiaa worm. I feel that I have palpitations cuz when I get up my bed to go to the bathroom pper exaample my heart beats abit faster. I did a sonography too the doc wrote blader in repletion, no sediments, no liquid in the XXXXXXX exam in the limit of normals. My belly really feels weird
Follow-up: What is wrong with me? Abdominal discomfort, bloating, bad taste in mouth, thirsty, tired, short of breath. 10 hours later
I forgot tto add my lippase is normal 29.5,n my stools have a paraasite called giardia lamblia
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for the clarification.

Giardiasis can cause abdominal discomfort, some loss of apetite but doesnot cause breathlessness or a raise in amylase.

All your reports are within normal limits except the serum amylase.

I wan t you to pursue further investigations to rule out pancreatic pathology and doctor and repeat an amylase and a urine culture once again. Meanwhile get a prescription for metronidazole, avoid milk products for 2 weeks and zinc containing multivitamins.