What is valium dosage for binge drinking treatment?

Hi I am taking valium after a two month long heavy drinking binge and I am finding it is not putting me out like I was hoping. Is it XXXXXXX to exceed the dose up from 10 mg per day to 20mg?
Posted Sun, 26 Jan 2014 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 49 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for sending in your query. Though 20 mg valium (diazepam) is not a XXXXXXX dose for the medication under standard conditions when ingested by an adult of your age. However, it must be ingested responsibly and under medical indications. I suggest you do not take the higher dose of valium if you are still taking alcohol regularly as the combination can be harmful to your health. I hope this helps, Dr. A Rao Kavoor
Follow-up: What is valium dosage for binge drinking treatment? 49 minutes later
Thank you for the information Doctor. I am not drinking at the moment so I think it is safe to take another tablet to help me sleep. Hopefully I should only need to take it for a few weeks as I did manage to stay sober for 6 months last year. And I do have an appointment to see a Psychiatrist in February and I'm thinking about taking the anti depressant or anti-anxiety medication to give myself a better chance of staying sober. Thanks for the help. Best wishes XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 53 minutes later
Brief Answer: addressing cause for drinking is important Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing again. Motivation is the most important thing you need in order to quit. If you have done it previously it is likely that you will do it again. Be firm in your decision. Once you begin the diazepam, do not slip back to drinking. If the binge drinking had a cause, if you are experiencing symptoms of depression, it is advisable you reveal it to your psychiatrist so that he/she can address the actual cause of your drinking. It is always advisable that your psychiatrist assesses you and then prescribes the required dose of diazepam. The drug should always be taken under supervision of a doctor. If 10 mg is not sufficient one could try 15 mg first instead of 20. Once it is begun, it has to be taken only for a week or so before it can be tapered off slowly. Long term use of the drug is not advisable since they have dependence potential. Keep up the motivation for quitting! I hope this helps, Dr. A Rao Kavoor