Ask a Urologist   »  

What is uterine prolapse ?

Hi there
Firstly i am 44 and 5ft 4, slim and approx 9 stones.
I appear to have a big protruding big red/pink balloon like shape down below, which I can see without problems just by using a mirror. I have had this more or less since had my daughter and she is now 5 yrs old.
Can you help?
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 27 minutes later

Can you give me a few more details about your problem

1.Do you mean there is a protrusion in your vaginal area?
2.Did you have a vaginal delivery?
3.Any problems during labor?
4.When does the bulge appear?all the time or on coughing,straining?
5.Any leakage of urine etc?
6.Have you seen a doctor?

Awaiting your reply.

Follow-up: What is uterine prolapse ? 12 hours later
Thankyou for getting back to me.
Its not exactly a protrusion all the time, more like something large trying to escape from something small. Down below it looks very full and feels very full but it usually is slightly better in the morning and gets worse as the day goes on.
I did have a few problems during childbirth which caused me to have a forceps delivery and a lot of stitches. Since then I have had a smear test and although this was around 7/9 months after I gave birth I was assured at this time everything was Ok.
As for the leakage of urine I sometimes do have a slight leak sometimes and no I have not seen anyone about this.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 11 hours later
Ok thanks for the reply.

I believe that you may be having a uterine prolapse or a cystocele (partial prolapse of the bladder).This can be confirmed by examination. Treatment is possible by exercise and surgery depending on the degree of prolapse.

You need to be examined by a gynaecologist for the diagnosis. This may be a problem/complication of prolonged/difficult labour.