What is unfolding and dilation of the dorsal aorta?

What is unfolding & dialation of the dorsal aorta?
I am 83 and 5"1" and 118 lbs
. I have lupus and as a result, kidney disease and I was recently diagnosed with the above condition.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Lupus
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 22 minutes later

Lupus is a auto-immune medical disorder that results in immune mediated inflammatory reaction in the blood vessels called as vasculitis. Such a reaction in the major artery can damage and alter the structure of the artery.

In your case, similar damage has occurred in the dorsal aorta ( descending aorta) - which can be described as "aortitis". Over a period of time the involved blood vessels undergo weakening of their walls and hence dilate in size ( Abnormal increase in diameter of the vessels).

Unfolding & dilation of the dorsal aorta - This is the actual description provided by medical investigations - which in layman terms can be described as - Inflammed, weakened and enlarged blood vessels.

The progression of the condition - can be prevented by appropriate immune suppression therapy. You might benefit by consulting with your primary doctor or a rheumatologist who can treat you accordingly.

I hope this helps.

I shall be available for any follow up questions that you might be having.