What is transient ischemia ?

Yesterday my skull became numb on the left side. It did not include the face or ears. I have had palm and middle of sole ache.
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Stroke
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 hours later

I would like to ask you some more details on the problem to opine on it better and advice you the useful.

1) Did you have such episodes in the past ?

2) Was there any effect on the conscious level during or after the episode ?

3) Did you feel numb in the tongue and any other parts of the body ?

4) Did you have any defect in vision during or soon after the incident ?

5) How long did the episode last ?

6) You have mentioned the BP is low, May I know the range in you ?

Anticipating your response.

Follow-up: What is transient ischemia ? 34 minutes later
I noticed the head numbness once before - during this same week. I consciously knew it was happening, I had someone with me, and it passed within fifteen minutes. I did not notice any lapse. The palm ache and sole ache comes and goes and has been happening for a couple of years. It does not subside with massage.

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 13 hours later

Thanks for getting back to me.

I do not suspect it to be anything serious , but unable to rule out transient ischemia ( transient stroke ) without examining you , which is a rare occurrence but at your age can be expected. Before it takes a serious turn , I meant to result in an actual stroke an examination by a Neurologist is a must who can place you on preventive measures. Do consult one and may be a MRI scan be needed here to confirm the same.

Wish you good health.