What is this soft, swollen round area just above the collar bone?

Soft, swollen round area just above the collar bone on the left side near the base of the neck. It is not painful and the area is not red. I do not feel a lump when I press it. Sometimes I feel little pressure on my chest like heart burn.

Posted Fri, 16 Nov 2012 in Lymphoma
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 1 hour later

Thanks for the question.

Commonest cause of such lump in this region is enlarged lymph nodes. Other causes are thyroid nodule, glomus tumor, congenital cyst, lipoma or ectopic thyroid tissue etc. Since there are many causes, generally one needs a clinical evaluation and sonography to know underlying cause of lump. If these tests don't help then one many need biopsy, but that is done only when possibility of cancer seems likely. But in your case that possibility is unlikely.

Hope this answers your question.