What is this small lump on my upper arm ?

Question
Hi
I JUST FOUND A SMALL BOIL SIZED LUMP ON MY UPPER ARM THAT LOOKED LIKE A LARGE BITE AS SOON AS I TOUCHED IT IT MOVED SLIGHTLY AND THEN TOTALLY DISAPPEARED WHAT WAS IT?I HAVE HEADACHE NOW BUT DONT KNOW IF IM PANICKING A BIT. ME AND MY CHILDREN HAVE BEEN BATTLING WITH SCABIES FOR THREE MONTHS ALSO DONT KNOW IF ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT.
REGARDS XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 36 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Can you give me some more details please?
1.Where was the boil?
2.How big was it?
3.Was it soft,hard etc?
4.Do you see it now?Is it visible?
5.Whats the size,colour etc?
6.Is there pain,discharge etc?
7.Any discolouration of the skin?

By the term sudden disappearance of lumps, do you mean the size has diminished? Do you still notice redness? If yes, it is local inflammation. Can you send a photograph to YYYY@YYYY to my attention in the subject line?

You are too much worried because of the stress your kids and you underwent.

You should consider improving your immune status, as 3 months of scabies represents low immune status. Step up your hygiene measures. Wear full sleeved clothes and take care from insect bites. You can take simple Acetaminophen for headache available over the counter.

Awaiting your reply.

Follow-up: What is this small lump on my upper arm ? 1 hour later
Hi
It was under the skin on my upper right arm
It was the size of a large heat lump
fairly soft
totally disappeared as soon as i touched it
pink in colour
no pain
It moved slightly then totally disappeared instantly upon touch so there is no longer anything to photograph.
Regards Emma

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 28 minutes later
Well XXXXXXX

I can give you a few possibilities.

First, it may or may not be a bug bite.Bug bites can appear raised,reddish and disappear on touch.But they are usually accompanied by itching.
There is a possibility of muscle knots.It may disappear on touch also.Its fairly harmless but do have a tendency to recur.This is uncommon but does occur esp in those who use their arms regularly for work.
Since its soft, it could be a hematoma or a cyst which is just forming.

If this is the first time this has happened I dont think you should worry.
But you need to keep track if this occurs again.
Bug bites ,hematomas,muscle knots may re appear again from time to time.

Ideally scabies doesnt look like this,as I am sure you know. But it could be an associated bug bite.
Right now,no active intervention is required but keep a watch if this happens again.
Hope you have been treated for scabies.Permethrin is the drug of choice.
Boil your clothes in hot water along with bed clothes.
Since you have history of scabies,with a low immune system,you are susceptible to other skin infections too so be careful.
Without an actual examination its difficult to confirm anything since you say that there is nothing visible.

Stay worry free.