What is this oily,orange discharge from my rectum?

Question
OILY,ORANGE DISCHARGE FROM RECTUM FLOATING IN TOILET WITH OR WITHOUT A BM.I AM DIABETIC AND HAD PANCREATITIS 13 YEARS AGO.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Mitaly 47 minutes later

Stools containing oil like discharge and floating in water is a condition known as Steatorrhoea.

When the stools are orange in colour they indicate an underlying disorder due to gall bladder disease, pancreas disorder, lack of bile acids.

Sometimes food with high fat intake also cause the stool to be orange. But they should not be ignored and require a proper evaluation.

Since you have a history of Pancreatitis, Malabsorption can be present and possibility of the pancreas dysfunction can be there.

Along with this deranged Blood sugar levels can also contribute to the symptoms.

Consider visiting a Physician for evaluation.

You might require investigations such as Blood profile, Stool test and USG scan which would help in confirmation of the diagnosis.

Hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up if any.

Follow-up: What is this oily,orange discharge from my rectum? 2 hours later
this orange oily substance will leak from my rectum at any time.

Answered by Dr. Mitaly 22 minutes later

Thanks for the follow up

If the oily substance is leaking every now and then it definitely indicates some underlying issue which requires attention.

Steatorrhea that is persistent may result from diseases affecting the biliary tract, pancreas, or intestines.

To confirm steatorrhoea you should have a faecal elastase test done , and if negative, a D-xylose and alpha-1 antitrypsin test. If these are all negative, then referral to a specialist centre to test for bile salt deficiency should be considered.

Kindly take an earliest appointment for evaluation.

Wishing you speedy recovery!