What is the white substance near my jaws and on my legs?

Why do I have a hard white substance that protrudes from multiple pores simultaneously, near incisions from jaw surgery 7 years ago and on my legs. (I am a 41 year old woman)
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 24 minutes later

This white substance that protrudes from multiple pores can be due to clogged pores or small sebaceous cysts.

In this small cysts form under the skin that gets filled with a soft, whitish brown material that sometimes oozes out onto the skin's surface. This material is called sebum.

If this protruding is accompanied by pain as well then there is a possibility of infection.

Another possibility for this could be steatocystoma multiplex which is a rare inherited disorder of pilosebaceous unit and often manifests in adulthood.

It is usually seen on the chest, neck, upper arms, face, back, forearm, thigh and sometimes it may develop all over the body.

These cysts are small ranging from 2-20 mm, asymptomatic, soft to firm and contains odorless creamy or oily fluid inside them.

I suggest you to get it examined by a dermatologist and get both these possibilities evaluated.

Generally no treatment is required but if they are cosmetically unpleasant then surgical excision by traditional wide excision, minimal excision, and punch biopsy excision may be required.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.