What is the use of zitega in cancer treatment?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
Do you know of a cancer treatment drug that sounds like zitega? Or something like that.
Posted Thu, 26 Sep 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Zytiga is used in prostate cancer.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
I think the drug you mean is Zytiga. This is used in the management of prostate cancer that has spread to other parts of the body. It is not a cure but it slows down the progress of the disease. It reduces the amount of testosterone produced and this in turn reduces the growth of cancer cells in the prostate.
The treatment is in the form of tablets taken once a day. Steroids are also taken to reduce some of the side-effects of Zytiga. This treatment is usually well tolerated with few serious side-effects. High blood pressure and fluid retention may occur. Also tiredness and urinary infections occur.
The length of treatment is decided on an individual patient basis dependent on the initial response.
I hope this is of help. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger,