What is the treatment to increase platelet and white blood cell counts?

My dad has low platelet and low white blood cell counts so has no energy and feels sick all the time. The leading hematologist in his city has done a bone marrow biopsy and other tests and said that the results were normal, that he should just have regular blood tests. Yet, that doesn't make him feel better. What should he talk to his family doctor about doing next?
Posted Tue, 24 Dec 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 18 minutes later
Brief Answer: Common in Octagenarian Detailed Answer: We find low platelet and low WBC counts in an octagenarian commonly. It would not be right to subject them to further tests unnecessarily. I am happy that the Bone marrow tests were found negative. We should accept the fact that he would not be having protein in the body as much as he had earlier. Proteins are the building blocks of the body and they make a lot cell components. So just keep giving him lean protein, fish as well in the diet. Legumes and dairy products are important. I suggest you to find a Geriatrics Specialist in your area than a normal Family doctor.