What is the treatment to get rid of body acne?

Jan 2014

Hi there im a 26 year old male and ive been suffering from mild-moderate acne for the last 10 years only on my back,chest abd arms tho. My face has been fine tho. As of the last 2-3 months ot has startes to get bad. So bad i dont feel comfortable with a shirt off. Ive been using benzoyl peroxide wash 5% ad cream 10% for the last year on and off. It helps a little bit but thos time doest. Seem to work. Im very active and eat healthy and drink alot of water daily. Is there sonething else i should try e.g prescribed medication/diet? Just curious why so late it has gotten worse. I thought by 26 it would be clear by now. Thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 31 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: Topical + oral antibiotics+-Retinoids Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for your query on XXXXXXX Acne commonly involves face, trunk, chest and shouders (all these areas are rich in sebaceous glands). All these areas may or may not be involved simultaneously. At 26 years its not very uncommon to have acne. Trunk acne is more resistant and more prone to relapse then facial acne(persists longer) Another possibility i would have kept in your case is of pityrosporum folliculitis(caused by yeast) even though Pityrosporum folliculitis ITCHES a lot and is commonly seen in hot, humid weather conditions. Clinically both look the same except the itching part which is prominent in Pitryosporum folliculitis. Acne usually does'nt itch or they itch only slightly. You said that you are already using Benzoyl Peroxide cream as well as wash. If i were your treating doctor i would have advised you to continue with that. Its used in both OTC and prescription acne products. 5% or 10% cream/gel is recommended for use on back once or twice daily. Benzoyl peroxide Wash/Soap is also useful and convenient to use. In addition to that, I would advice that you be put on a course of oral antibiotics like Doxycycline OR Azithromycin for 4-6 weeks, since the lesions on your back and trunk are inflammatory (Papules and pustules). In my practice i start my patients on oral retinoids (Isotretinoin) if they present me similar to you. Oral retinoids are Sebostatic(decreases oil production), normalises keratinization, are anti-inflammatory and decreases proliferation/population of Propionibacterium acnes as well as yeast(which feeds on your oil) in hair follicles. You should visit a dermatologist to get a prescription for oral anti-acne medications(Antibiotics and Retinoids). Since trunk acne tends to relapse you might need a repeat course of retinoids sometime in future , if needed. To summarize: Topical treatment to be continued as before + Add oral retinoids + 4-6 weeks of Oral antibiotics(preferably Azithromycin if used with along retinoids) would be ideal for you take care regards