What is the treatment to cure pain caused due to muscle strain or damage?

Hey, My leg is still suffering from the same symptoms. I have been snowboarding the last few days and today it is really killing me. If I wasn't tough as nails I wouldn't be able to walk. Still cannot bend my leg completely without intense pain. Sitting on my legsfeels like my leg is ggoing to burst. The pain is from the mid calf all the way behind the knee aching and sharp
Posted Fri, 3 Jan 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: please, get rest and pain medications!!! Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about theses severe pains. From the information you have provided, it is likely that this pain has been caused by muscle strain or damage. Intense exercise or long duration of moderate exercise can actually damage muscle fibers and result in pains. This is termed rhabdomyolysis. The good news is that this generally requires just rest and good pain medications to get the condition controlled. Also, you should drink much water so as to protect the kidneys because great muscle damage can release myoglobulin which is potentially damaging to the kidneys. Adequate hydration can help prevent this. For now you can try a combination of rest, simple pain medications(Ibuprofen and Tylenol), massage and appropriate fluids intake of at least 2.5liters/day. I hope you find this helpful. I wish you well. Please feel free to ask for clarifications if need be. Thanks for using our services and hope you enjoyed it. Dr. Ditah, MD.