What is the treatment for white spot on my tonsil?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
I have a white spot on my right tonsil. (very close to the throat and the tongue can cover it up at times) It has been there for at least three months. (since I have noticed it) I have tried to remove it myself, but it is very hard to do, since it seems to be hardend and won't budge. It is not causing any discomfort at all, but I just wonder why it is there. There is no pain. It has not changed its shape or size since I noticed it. It is smaller than the size of a pea. I am hoping that it is just a tonsil stone. Of course, due to its location, when I poke and prod at it, I just start to gag. Can you help? Any advice would be truly appreciated.
Posted Thu, 23 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Consult ENT specialist Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX A painless white spot on the right tonsil could be a leukoplakic patch, a growth or a stone. Absence of pain and exudative material rules out the possibility of an infectious process. White colored membrane on the tonsil is commonly seen in diptherial infection however, diptheria is an infection associated with prostration which is absent in your case. You need to consult an ENT specialist for clinical examination and investigations. A biopsy of the white patch may be required to examine it microscopically. This investigation will determine the nature and character of the lesion. If you have more queries I will be glad to answer. Dr Shailja P Wahal