What is the treatment for water retention in the region of knee?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
What is the treatment for water retention in the region of a knee?
Posted Wed, 31 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 2 hours later

Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.

Water retention around the knee usually indicates an effusion. This is a collection of fluid secondary to an injury, inflammation or possibly arthritis. The underlying cause needs to be investigated and treated in order to have a lasting effect.

I would suggest you see an orthopedic doctor who may wish to investigate with an MRI scan.

In the meantime, keep the joint mobile with gentle exercises. A firm elastic knee support may help reduce the swelling. Elevate when possible. If painful, anti-inflammatories such as ibuprofen may help.

I hope this has been of help to you. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Dr K A Pottinger