What is the treatment for vertigo?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Ive had severe vertigo for 2 months and have been rx valium all to no avail. anti vert didn't work, laying my head upside down off the bed did not help, I need this to go away. every time I turn or move my head to the left I begin to fall and need t hold on the something.
Posted Sun, 2 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Need evaluation. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. Having vertigo all the time may be associated with many reasons which need to be ruled out one by one in your case- 1. Abnormal position of the neck- avoid using a pillow for a few days and see if it improves. 2.Migraine headaches are also associated with vertigo or spinning of head. Do you have any association with headache? 3. Inner ear problems- due to inflammation or miniere's disease- Can be ruled out on examination by a specialist. 4. Stroke causing compromised blood supply to the inner ear. This can be ruled out by your general physician after looking for all the risk factors. 5. cervical spondylosis- usually associated with pain in the neck. 6. Metabolic conditions such as hyponatremia I would advise you to consult an ENT surgeon to first confirm the cause of vertigo i.e the exact diagnosis weather menieres or proprioceptive disorders or any neurological cause by evaluation and investigation ( mri, audiogram, etc) The treatment will depend on the cause and its severity. Its best not to delay consultation as the further progression might decrease the chances of better response to oral medicines . I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Follow-up: What is the treatment for vertigo? 1 hour later
Thank you for your very detailed response. I do have severe arthritis in my neck and can move my head only slightly to left or right Are you saying my neck could be a factor in vertigo Last year I has spinal stenous lower back surgery. Should I see a neurologist first since my ent dr just told me to lay my head over the back of the bed. Thanks for your response, XXXXXXX Oh I don't have any headaches
Brief Answer: Yes you can consult a neurologist first. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. Since you have a severe arthritis in the neck, this could be the reason of severe vertigo. It is best to consult a neurologist for treatment. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards
Follow-up: What is the treatment for vertigo? 13 hours later
Thank you so much. I will make an appt today. Sincerely
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Brief Answer: You are welcome. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you. I am glad I could help. You can consult me again directly through my profile URL Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful. I wish you the very best in whatever you do. Warm regards