What is the treatment for uterine polyps?

Infertility Specialist
Question
Health Query : Trying to concieve, recently got to know there are polyps in the uertine and what is the line of treatment to cure the same, can i still get pergnant with the polyps. Hello Doctor, AGE : 34 YEARS / FEMALE I am 34 years old, married for last 2 years and trying to concieve for last 6 months. I have a regular 28-29 days cycle, my sonography reports of pelvic and abdomen are normal, thyroid report, hormone reports (prolactin, LH, FHS, AMH, Pregesterone reports are also normal. Blood reports, urine reports are also normal. Just did follicular study on day 13th and 14th of the cycle. My husbands age is also 34 years and his semen reports, blood reports and hormone reports are also normal. Below are the readings of the follicualr study. Day 13 Right Ovary - 15mm Left ovray - 19mm ET - 12.9 mm Day 14 Right Ovary - 15mm x 15 mm Left ovray - 22mm x 21 mm ET - 12.9 mm Small echogenic focus 10 x 4 mm in size is seen in the endometrial echose, could be sloapolyp. Consulting radiologist has me to visit again for TVS on day 18 or 19 to see if the follicles have ruptured. Also she asked me to repeat Tran vaginal scan in my next cycle after me menses get over. My gynae has advsied me to go for HSG test in my next cyle. Please advise if uterine polyp can hamper conception. Also need to know if i have to go for Trans vaginal scan or HSG to diagnose the polyps in the uterine. What is the next line of treatment for the same. Thanks
Posted Sun, 16 Feb 2014 in Infertility Problem

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hysteroscopy for polyp Detailed Answer: Hi Your parameters are normal and you are in perfect health. No need to worry. Your follicles are also growing well. Not to worry. Endometrium thickness is good. Polyp needs to be evaluated by a procedure called hysteroscopy to see in side the uterine cavity and remove any polyps present by hysteroscopy. HSG cannot diagnose polyps well and it is good to diagnose fallopian tube patency and contour of uterus. Let me know if you have any more questions. Regards Dr. Mahesh Koregol IVF& Infertility Specialist

Follow-up: What is the treatment for uterine polyps? 29 hours later
Hi doctor, thanks for the advise. Need to know what is hystroscopy. Does it have any side effects and is it very painful procedure. Is it mandatory to go for hysteroscopy. Mainly need to know if polyps hamper conception and implantation process. Looking forward for your advise.

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 4 hours later
Brief Answer: yes Detailed Answer: Hi Polyps do hamper implantation of embryo into uterus. Hence need to be diagnosed and removed by hysteroscopy. Hysteroscopy is a procedure in which a scope is passed through cervix into uterus to visualise uterine cavity and check for polyp or fibroid. This is done under anesthesia as it is painful. There are no side effects. Let me know if you have any more questions. Regards Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Follow-up: What is the treatment for uterine polyps? 18 hours later
Thanks for the advise. Need to know how to confirm if there is a polyp. Which test diagnosis if the polyps are present or not. Should i do a trans vaginal scan just after menses get over to recpnfirm about the polyps. My husbands semen parameters are normal. But at times after a relationship for 5-6 days, he feels he cannot get hard erection. Is it normal or is it advisable to have relationahip every alternate day throughtout the cycle.

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Hysteroscopy Detailed Answer: Hi Hysteroscopy is diagnostic as well as operative. It is most confirmatory way of diagnosing polyp and treat on the spot. Scan is not confirmatory. Hysteroscopy is best method. Ovulation occurs approximately in middle of cycle. It is advisable that you have intercourse daily in the middle of cycle. Let me know if you have any more questions. Regards Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Follow-up: What is the treatment for uterine polyps? 11 hours later
Thanks will go for furtger diagnosis as advised by you Need to know if it is normal at times to face this problem of erection or is it a matter of concern. Is there any test required for my husband apart from semen analysis.

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 10 hours later
Brief Answer: Stress Detailed Answer: Hi The cause for erection problems is most commonly stress either in work or professional life. Hence try find ways to reduce his stress. This might improve his erection. Get his fasting blood sugar done to rule out diabetes. Let me know if you have any more questions. Regards Dr. Mahesh Koregol