What is the treatment for undisplaced fracture of lateral malleolus in foot?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi X-ray shows undisplaced fracture of lateral malleolus in them left foot. What support do I need in the healing period. Will a crepe bandage with tight ankle sleeve be sufficient to immobilise the foot? Can I travel in 5 days from now. I am able to walk, though not able to put my foot down due to pain. Just a hobble and dragging my foot.
Posted Thu, 20 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Needs 6-8 weeks period of Immobilization. Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX An undisplaced fracture of lateral malleolus needs atleast 6-8 weeks of Immobilization for it to unite. Then after, gradual weight bearing may be allowed (subject to pain tolerance). For the purpose of immobilization, a traditional pop cast or an Ankle immobilizer can be used. Crepe bandage will not prevent the movements occuring at the level of fracture & so it has got no role in fracture treatment. It is only to be used for ankle sprains, involving only soft tissue injury. Yes, you can travel with a cast or brace to your injured leg. But, the foot has to be kept in elevation while travelling as continuous hanging of the leg can result in dependent oedema (swellling) in the foot. Keep actively moving all the toes so as to prevent the formation of oedema in the foot. Weight bearing is not allowed on the injured leg right now as there is every chance that the fracture may get displaced leading to further problems. Either you have to use a walking frame or a single crutch for walking purpose. Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further Regards
Follow-up: What is the treatment for undisplaced fracture of lateral malleolus in foot? 25 minutes later
Since it is inconvenient to travel with a pop cast, I got a Dyna Ankle immobilizer. But this is immobilizing more the ankle than the foot. The foot is where the fracture has accured. My ankle seems fine. Infact it is very uncomfortable to wear and I feel I am better off without the immobilizer. Am I not wearing it right? Can I get some other support that will be more useful to immobilize and support my foot? What are the recommended brands available in India?
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 54 minutes later
Brief Answer: Dyna Ankle Immobilizer is a good choice. Detailed Answer: Hi, Nice to hear from you. This is just to let you know a basic fact that any fracture needs absolute immobilization for it to heal and unite. So, immobilization of any form will work and you have to choose a particular variant with which you are comfortable. Infact, Dyna products are very good and I personally use them in my private practice. The other standard company is "MGRM" which produces good products. This is also just to make you clear that in case of a lateral malleolus fracture, the ankle has to be rigidly immobilized but not the foot or toes. So, Dyna ankle immobilizer is a good choice for you and it has to be applied in a "snug" fit manner (not too tight or not too loose). Initially, most of the patients find it difficult and move after wearing an ankle immobilizer, but with time, they get adjusted. If you are still have trouble with Dyna ankle immobilizer, consult your treating doctor, who will prescribe an orthotic support which suits you better. Hope I have justified your query. I welcome any more clarification Good day