What is the treatment for to reduce hairfall due to male pattern baldness?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014
Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
hi , am 31 year old healthy male, who s suffering from hair fall , I had worst hair fall when I was in my college days , and now 10 year hence am feeling the same. I consulted rich feel tricho's and they told me that my hair analysis report though is normal but am in to II stage male pattern baldness , where hairline recedes from front to back , they advised me saw palmetto capsules , course is way to expensive 4000 for 3 months cap ..this will go for 3 years I don't know if this has help led me, bit am worried I wanna know what to do now second thing I would like to ask is does protein shakes and creatine pre work out can lead to hair fall as I have started just now
Posted Thu, 26 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Androgenetic Alopecia Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for posting your query to XXXXXXX Thinning and receding hair line in males is classical of Male pattern Androgenetic Alopecia (MAGA) also simply known as Androgenetic alopecia. Scalp hairs are genetically programmed for progressive thinning under the influence of hormones (Testosterone). Hair loss has a pattern to it in these kinds of hair loss e.g Teens usually have some Temporal recession which is then followed by deepening of Temporal recession (the earliest stage of Male Hair Loss) leading further to early hair loss in the crown (vertex) and later to further frontal hair loss and enlargement of vertex and so on... By this time people usually become concerned about their receding hair line. Androgenetic alopecia is the commonest type of hair loss in males. By the age of 30 years almost 30% of males have this kind of hair loss and by the age of 50 years almost 50% of males have this kind of hair loss. Treatment modalities include Topical Minoxodil 5% solution and oral finasteride. Their are well controlled trials and US FDA approval for them for this kind of hair loss in males. Finasteride is reported to have a side effect of decreased libido in just 1 - 2% of patients and that too early into therapy. This side effect goes away in almost all patients on continued therapy. Its a reversible side effect (means if you feel that your libido is affected then you can stop it). Your can discuss more about this from your treating dermatologist. Saw-palmetto extract is also recommended for this kind of hair loss(it is also 5 alpha reductase inhibitor) and it is claimed in a few studies that are available that it is free from this side effect of decreased libido. Their are many preparations available on prescription of a dermatologist. High protein diet and creatine pre work-out can cause acidic blood PH which in turn causes mobilization of calcium from bones and hair. It is hypothesised that this calcium mobilization from hair as a result of acidic blood PH can lead to hair fall!! Treatment of Male pattern hair loss is long term but gives good results if started at an early stage so that hair loss is not allowed to progress any further (any new hair that grows with this therapy is complementary). Therefore it is imperative that you begin therapy as soon as possible so that your hair fall can be arrested before its too late. I would advice that you consult a dermatologist and have a face to face discussion keeping all these points in mind. I am here to help you out with any further clarifications Hope this information helps you take care Dr. kakkar

Follow-up: What is the treatment for to reduce hairfall due to male pattern baldness? 1 hour later
any dermatologist you would like to suggest In Delhi? or if you could suggest some medication , shampoo or oil to start with immediately?

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: 5% minoxidil+finasteride tab.+ketoconazole shampoo Detailed Answer: Hi. You can start with: >5% Minoxidil solution 1 ml twice daily(after shampoo apply it at the hair roots over the entire affected area, preferably after air drying your hair) >Finasteride 1 mg tab once daily >Ketoconazole shampoo(Ketoconazole exerts local antiandrogen action). Avoid using hair oil. It forms a barrier to Minoxidil absorption (Your scalp should be clean) I would advice that you visit a nearby dermatologist of your own choice for a prescription for these. Also have a face to face discussion with him keeping all these points in mind. Treatment is long term but gives good results if begun at an early stage, therefore it is imperative that you begin therapy as soon as possible so that your hair fall can be arrested before its too late. take care regards Dr. kakkar

Follow-up: What is the treatment for to reduce hairfall due to male pattern baldness? 32 hours later
great thanks I have started using it ..will share the result with you soon

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 10 hours later
Brief Answer: You are welcome Detailed Answer: thanks for asking at XXXXXXX take care

Follow-up: What is the treatment for to reduce hairfall due to male pattern baldness? 23 minutes later
hi can I use this shampoo daily , as this has really helped me get rid of that severe itching feeling , hair oil as you said not to apply , but my hair gets really unruly and dry sometimes pls advice

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 3 minutes later
Brief Answer: Can Shampoo daily. Detailed Answer: Hi. Yes, you can shampoo daily Ketoconazole shampoo does cause dryness. You can use a conditioner after shampoo but not hair oil. regards