What is the treatment for throbbing pain in index finger while taking statins and allopurinol for kidney disease?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i have a throbbing pain on myleft hand index finger. it is swollen at the base . it started 3 weeks ago when i ate so much seafood. i have gout arthritis but i stopped taking allopurinol for 3 months trying to experiment with alkalete supplement , alkaline body supplement but i was also taking torsemide 10 mg a day for blood pressure. i was diagnosed with chronic kidney disease and i am not taking any pain pill or anti inflammatory because of my kidney disease. im on statins,started taking back 200 mg o allopurinol and on benicar med. my bp is 120/80. im an or nurse so it is hard to work when right hand is painful. what should i do for gnawing pain and swelling.
Posted Wed, 22 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Use allopurinol and prednisolone Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The pain and swelling in the finger due to gouty arthritis can be reduced by pain killers and anti inflammatories for a short term. The long term benefit can be had with allopurinol which increases the urate excretion out from the body. You can start with a hot fomentation of the painful joint thrice daily and apply a local analgesic gel in the area. Let me reassure you that the pain will subside with some time. Sometimes we have to use a combination of medications to relieve the inflammation and help the body clear the uric acid. These medications include allopurinol, prednisone, indomethacin or colchicine. I often use prednisone for 3 to 5 days and patients do well. I would advise you inquire from your physician if that may be an option. You also need to follow the lifestyle modifications of lowering alcohol and sea food intake. I would also recommend you read a few articles online on how to modify diet in order to minimize exacerbations of gout. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL