What is the treatment for thigh pain and why am I unable to climb stairs?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have pain in my thighs, right worse than the left. T pain does not allow me to fall asleep even n I am so sleepy and tired. At times I feel I may no longer will be able to climb the stairs. I do exercise, stretch out, and water aerobics...all so that I can keep active and I have been told that I dont have arthritis. I am 68 and pretty healthy otherwise. Not overweight, but like to loose 20 lbs. to be normal. Any diagnosis? Thanks!
Posted Mon, 20 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: Needs assessment for diagnoisis. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The pain in the thighs like you are having can be due to a muscular pain like spasms or due to a mild nerve root compression at the level of lumbar spine. The repeated injuries of muscles are common and if you don't warm up and stretch properly before moving the muscles it can cause a pain. The other causes that can cause such symptoms include hypothyroidism, electrolyte imbalance (levels checked by blood tests) and excess activity. Treatment includes- (1) treating the underlying cause (2) keeping yourself well hydrated (3) stretching the muscles involved (4) the use of anti inflammatory medication such as ibuprofen, cataflam with meals provided there are no contraindications to their use (5) a muscle relaxant may be necessary It may be best, if possible to visit your doctor for a thorough assessment and treatment plan. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL