What is the treatment for testicular pain with back pain?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Excellent
Question
Hello, I have been having some pain in my testicles or groin area, along with some back pain when I sit down or sometimes walk. I checked to see if I had any lumps on my testicles and I didn't fine any. I still have some pain when I lay down but not as much. It's been going on for like a week. Should I go see a doctor? I'm out of the country and have no health insurance over here. But I should be able to cover the cost over here in Vietnam. What do you think it could be? Thanks hope to hear from someone soon.
Posted Fri, 24 Jan 2014 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Brief Answer: INJURY / INFECTION MOST LIKELY Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. There are various causes for testicular / groin pain. Trauma to the scrotum / testicles or groin area is a leading cause. You might have suffered some trauma during sports, driving, exercise or intercourse. The second most common possibility is that of infection - epididymitis or orchitis ( inflammation of the testicles ) can lead to such pain. It could be due to sexually transmitted organisms or due to infection from the urinary tract. Infections and stones in the urinary tract ( kidneys, ureter , bladder or urethra ) also can cause referred pain in the testicular area. A hernia is a protrusion of the intestinal contents through the defect in the muscles of the groin area - an inguinal hernia often causes pain in the area mentioned. It can be brought on by old age, heavy weight lifting, chronic cough, smoking, constipation etc. A growth / tumour in the area is a rare possibility. I am more likely to put trauma / infection as a first possibility, considering a hernia as the last one. Would you be having any antecedent history for either of these ? Yes, you would need to see a doctor to diagnose the specific condition. A thorough physical examination should be conducted. Relevant blood tests and urine tests alongwith imaging / ultrasound would reveal the exact cause. All the best. Please feel free to discuss further.

Follow-up: What is the treatment for testicular pain with back pain? 20 minutes later
So it doesn't sound like testicular cancer?

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 3 minutes later
Brief Answer: NO Detailed Answer: You have not mentioned your age. Also, there is no palpable lump as you said. Moreover, there is no accompanying weight loss, malaise, fever or any systemic complaint NO, does not sound like testicular cancer to me .

Follow-up: What is the treatment for testicular pain with back pain? 14 minutes later
I'm sorry, I'm 35 years old, but I have lost about 10 lbs in 2 months, but I think it's because the food is a lot healthy here in Vietnam. But I only eat twice a day, unlike back home in the US. where I would eat 3 times a day. So I think that's the reason I lost the weight.

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: I would not worry about testicular cancer at all. Could be some infection you picked up over there ? Or hurt yourself somehow ? A checkup would tell you what it is for sure.

Follow-up: What is the treatment for testicular pain with back pain? 8 minutes later
OK thank you Dr. XXXXXXX you gave me some peace of mind. But hopefully I'll be able to do a check up.

Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: You are most welcome anytime. If it is due to an injury, it could pass away with rest and tight scrotal support and an ice pack. Schedule an appointment if the pain is persistent / increasing. Wish you luck and good health always.