What is the treatment for swollen uvula?

I have a swollen uvula. I've had it before but not this bad. It makes it real hard to spit.
Posted Wed, 27 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Infection or Allergy. Water, Gargling salt water. Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. I have gone through your query and understand your concern. One of the most common cause of swollen uvula is Infection. Infection is most commonly either viral or bacterial infection. As you have the previous history of Swollen uvula, it may also due to allergies. Please follow the following home remedies. 1. Drink lot of water at least 10 or 12 glasses per day. Orange juice will help hydrate the body. Keeping dehydration at a distance would speed up the recovery process. 2. Salt water gargling will help alleviate a swollen uvula caused by a bacterial infection. 3. Cold water and ice cream are also useful for cooling the uvula and also decrease the swelling of uvula. 4. It is proved that Honey is good for treating a swollen uvula. 5. If you are a smoke or alcoholic, Please quit these habits. If these measures would not help to decrease the swollen uvula for 2 days, then you need Broad spectrum Antibiotics like Ciprofloxacin and pain killers. Hope this helps. Please reply for further queries. Wishing you good health. Regards, Dr.Manjeth XXXXXXX