What is the treatment for swollen lingual tonsils?

ENT Specialist
I have swollen palatine and lingual tonsils and behind both of my palatine tonsils there is a dark area (purplish). I recently passed an oral cancer screening at my dentist and i am a smokeless tobacco user. Im wondering what these dark spots could be and how to treat them.
Posted Mon, 3 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 26 minutes later
Brief Answer: Antiseptic mouth wash, stop tobacco use Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. Purplish area behind the palatine tonsils on both the sides most likely will be lymphoid tissue which has become chronically inflamed. Reflux is another reason which can lead to such an area. Even as you have passed cancer screening, you are a tobacco user, and if there is some change in character of that area, do consult an oral surgeon/ENT. Use antiseptic mouth wash and above all stop using tobacco. If it is not causing any problem and your doctor says that this is not cancerous, it does not need any treatment. If causing some problem, and antiseptic mouth wash is not helping, please see an ENT and Post nasal discharge needs to be ruled out. If there is no post nasal drip, the area can be cauterized and this will remove it from that place. Feel free to ask another query. Regards
Follow-up: What is the treatment for swollen lingual tonsils? 3 hours later
I do have post nasal drip. What would that mean to the situation?
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 2 hours later
Brief Answer: PND can lead to such a finding Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. Post nasal drip(PND) suggests a possibility of sinus infection. A continuous PND can lead to inflamed area at the back of throat where you are describing the purple area and this can be cause for purple area. Do consult an ENT and get the nose and sinus areas evaluated. Feel free to ask another query. Regards