Ask a Dentist   »  

What is the treatment for swollen gums and bad breath?

Hey, I have a problem with my gums. On the back far left side of my gums its a Lil swollen and it has a very tender feel when I smile (sometimes) and when I eat it hurts and they bleed. Its causing me REALLY bad breath and ppl can smell it from far away even when I'm just breathing through my nose. On my far right back of gums its a bit swollen and its not as much painful or anything and I dont bleed that much. What should I do? I rinse with Listerine but it hurts and stings bad when I do, is that a good thing? What do u think it is? And if I go to a dentist how will they help with my problem?
Posted Wed, 5 Feb 2014 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Dipti Singh 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Wisdom tooth or gums infection, x - ray will clear Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thank you for consulting with XXXXXXX This is Dr. Dipti Singh here to answer your query. As you are mentioning that your gums of both right and left are slightly swollen and they bleed to touch, there can be two possibilities for this condition- - First it can be possible that your wisdom tooth of both side are erupting and before it they have formed a sac in which there must be deposition of food, and this is causing the bad breath. - Second it can be possible that you are having starting of gum infection which is leading to this condition. In both the cases you have to visit a good dentist as just rinsing will not help. He will take an x - ray which will confirm about wisdom tooth, and if it is just infection of gums a prophylaxis will be done. Hope it will help you. Regards Dr . Dipti Singh