What is the treatment for swollen ankle and tingling, numbness of toes caused by an injury?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
My 15 year old son twisted his ankle in bball today and now his toes are tingling and numb? The ankle is swollen, however, not sure if we need to get an xray or not
Posted Thu, 13 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Hi and welcome to HCM Detailed Answer: I would do Xray. Sometimes even minor traumas can cause fracture of fibula and then immobilisation may be necessary. Probably this is not fracture and there is just ligament or tendon pulling and reactive swelling. In this case 5-10 days may be necessary till swelling pulls back. But as I said, I would suggest X-ray to rule out possible fibula or malleolar fracture. Till you do this, advice him to rest, apply ice compresses, keep leg elevated and take analgetics. Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards