What is the treatment for swelling and bump towards my toes after having a twisted foot?

My foot twisted under me when landing badly after a bit of a fall on the stairs. I can now bear weight with moderate pain, can wiggle my toes (the small ones hurt when doing so) and there is swelling- a bump about the size of my ankle bone, but a bit further towards my small toes (about an inch south (towards my toes) of my ankle. Should I get this checked out, or should I assume it is a sprain. The pain is not intense, but it certainly doesn't feel good. Thanks for any info!! Merry Christmas, XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 14 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Brief answer.....looks like sprain only but better to get it X -rayed Detailed answer.... Hello, Thanks for the query. Basically your ankle joint has three bones which are interlocked by strong connective tissue bands called as ligaments and these ligaments provide stability and too much movement of joint. A twist results in stretching and tearing of ligaments and local bleeding which results in local swelling and pain. Treatment involves  Rest and stopping the activity. Local ice packs every 2 hours Bandaging the joint firmly Avoiding local heat heat,massage,alcohol and exercises for first 48 hours. take oral ibuprofen 400 mg three times a day for 5-7 days. Since you  have already improved a lot,chances of fracture are remote but for precautionary purpose you may get it done. After 48 hours treatment involves.. Hot FOMENTATION. In case your pain doesn't subside or reduce considerably even after 72 hours,you may take the help of a physiotherapist for proper exercise regime. I hope it helps,however you may revert to me for any further query. Best of luck Thanks