What is the treatment for supraventricular eptopic beats?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
I have just been diagnosed with supraventricular eptopic beats, I have had high blood pressure for two years (high diastolic), I had an angiogram that was clear. My mother had a sudden cardiac death (cardiac tampanade) and so did one of her sisters, my other aunt has had an aortic valve replacement. My cardiologist has said not to worry about the supraventricular beats but they are very frightening, should I ask for a second opinion?
Posted Fri, 27 Dec 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 53 minutes later
Brief Answer: You do not need a second opinion. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for using Healthcare Magic. Supraventricular ectopic beats are usually not a serious problem. Although you have a family history of cardiac disease, this does not indicate that the the ectopic beats are a problem. The signs that would indicate you need further investigation would be chest pains associated with the ectopic beats, extreme breathlessness or dizziness. If you are otherwise symptom-free when you have a run of ectopics then I would agree with your cardiologist that you need not worry. You do not need a second opinion. I hope this has reassured you. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. Regards, Dr K A Pottinger, MBChB FRCA