What is the treatment for strep in the bloodstream?

What treatment should be done for strep in a young woman's bloodstream? She is unable to speak and can't eat anything. This is bad and no one is helping
Posted Thu, 27 Mar 2014 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 1 hour later
Brief Answer: IV antibiotics mandatory Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Presence of strep in a young woman's bloodstream mandates the use of IV antibiotics like Imepenem, meropenem. This is definitely gram positive septicemia that cannot be ignored. I assume a blood culture is done and the antibiotic sensitivity is tested as well. Based on the report, her treating doctor can start her on relevant antibiotics. Since she is unable to speak and can't eat anything too, it makes her general status to be sick. She must be in a hospital under the care of a medical team and be treated accordingly. I wish her speedy recovery.