Ask a Urologist   »  

What is the treatment for stones in kidney?

Hi Doctor 3 days back I had a stomach pain, I went to doctor am away from india.. so they suggested me for get the medical report and found stone in kidney. need ur suggestion on this please help me I want to kwn which treatment I can choose from and wil be best for me..need ur suggestionsdoes this can b done by only medicines or need to go with any surgery.. and also the total cost or expenses..
Posted Wed, 26 Mar 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Small stones, may try medicines initially Detailed Answer: Hi, We do suggest medical treatment for stones less than 6mm, and some kind of intervention if stones are above 10mm. In your case, the report suggests that both your kidney stones are 7mm each, which falls in the intermediate area between 6mm and 10mm. If your pain is definitely due to stones, then we can recommend treatment for the stones on the concerned side. on the other hand if your pain was due to some other cause like gastritis, and these stones are incidentally detected, we can give you drugs and advise you to take plenty of oral fluids and see if the stones are likely to be washed away on their own. If you plan to have treatment, which might not be a bad idea if you are planning to travel abroad where there are no medical facilities or where it could get prohibitively expensive, we initially get a few basic tests done depending on which we recommend treatment. For example, A Plain X-ray KUB or a CT scan of KUB or IVU are done to assess the specific anatomy of the kidneys, and kind of stones. CT scan will help tell us if your stones are brittle. If they are brittle, you can have a procedure called ESWL (Extra Corporeal Shock wave Lithotripsy) which is successful in over 90% of patients with no morbidity. Other option will be RIRS which is 'Retrograde Intra Renal Surgery' with laser which involves flexible endoscopy with LASER but is more expensive. For example, ESWL will cost about 35000 Rs while RIRS could cost about 70,000 Rs in Hyderabad. Hope I have been able to help you.