What is the treatment for stiffness and pain in hands with arthritis in right hip and herniated discs?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have been having joint pain in my knees and shoulders, hips and stiffness and pain in both of my hands. This has been going on for about 6 months but has become increasingly worse in the last 3 months. I feel like I can't grip things like normal and when I do use my hands to carry or grip things they get really sore and stiff . I have had chronic back problems so I have been seeing pain management doctor for that but it is much worse as well. I also, feel very tired and can't seem to get enough rest. I have felt like falling asleep at work. I usually have to take a nap on my break. My pain management doctor sent me to a rheumatologist. I felt as though he down-played my symptoms. He moved my legs around and told me I had no arthritis in my hips or my knees. I know I have some arthritis in my right hip and I have herniated discs, DJD and spinal stenosis in my back. My rheumatologist told me he thinks all my pain is from my back or is osteoarthritis. I am just concerned because it came on in my hands so suddenly. I am 45. I have hypothyroidism . He did order some lab work my ANA was normal. My sed rate was 21 my AST/SGOT was 43 and my neutrophils were 48.3. My RA test isn't back yet. I guess I was curious what you might think of this information
Posted Tue, 14 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: wait for the RA test reports. Detailed Answer: Hi, I have read your query. It is wise to wait for the RA test report.But only if test was RA quantitative otherwise simple RA test is insignificant for diagnosis to be made. You also have hypothyroidism GERD, depression, migraine,which must be under consideration. For this you must consult your physician . He will also examine you physically apart from only doing blood tests. Multiple joint pains and stiffness makes your diagnosis more towards rheumatoid arthritis ,but again we should wait for RA factor quantitative report. You should also get your fasting serum ESR and serum CRP levels done and send us reports. Only after reports of above mentioned three tests then your final diagnosis can be made. It is true that hand is involved in rheumatoid arthritis and it is of major concern to any body, but my friend mentioned test will be further helpful to advise you any medicine e.g painkillers ,disease modifying drugs etc. Till you can take medicine advised by your doctor and apply hot packs for 30 mins in morning and evening over affected joints. Do physiotherapy of your joints involved e.g quadriceps straightening exercise for knee joint,back strengthening exercise for back and static cervical spine exercise for neck region etc. All these are given on you tube. I hope you have get your answer. Thanks.
Follow-up: What is the treatment for stiffness and pain in hands with arthritis in right hip and herniated discs? 18 minutes later
My ESR or CRP weren't done fasting. My doctor didnt tell me it was fasting. Can you tell me why that makes a difference?
Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 40 minutes later
Brief Answer: yes Detailed Answer: Hi, First of all thanks for query again. In any case fasting before ESR and CRP test is mandatory as it is usually the blood sample is taken from fasting for a more accurate result and to avoid over or dehydration. Although some doctors do not advise fasting before ESR and CRP tests.But usually it seen that fasting ESR and CRP give more relevant values compare with physical findings of the patients. If your are not fasting then the amount of glucose present in the blood sample after having a large meal will be higher than any time of the day. Likewise, blood cholesterol and triglyceride levels measured after a meal is higher . In brief, consuming food before a blood work gives inaccurate results, which are influenced by the food type and amount of serving. Thus, a specific fasting period is recommended to get reliable results. So, these blood tests require you to fast because it's a matter of eliminating excess sugars and nutrients in the blood that might interfere with the test results. At last I would like to say that you must get your ESR and CRP levels done in fasting ,you would get more useful values than after meal. I hope you have get your answer. Further health related queries are welcomed. Thanks.