What is the treatment for sprained ankle?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I sprained my ankle months ago and did several weeks of pt, was told the joint capsule has thickened and that's why it crunches, wondering if I can break down the capsule thickness?
Posted Sat, 1 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: I will advise to do MRI ankle for soft tissue. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us, I have studied your case with diligence. As per your history and injury pattern there can be persistent tear in ankle ligament leading crunching sound or capsular tightness. I will advise to do MRI ankle for soft tissue involvement. Till time you can continue physiotherapy exercises and also use supportive splint or brace. Your physiotherapy exercises will help to relieve symptoms of capsular thickness. Physiotherapy like ultrasound and TENS will help in early healing. Persistent pain after ankle injury is common and may take 6 months to heal. If there is complete ligament tear then arthroscopic ankle ligament repair can be done or if capsular tightness is severe then release can be done. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.