What is the treatment for sharp pain in breast and why is it hurting to touch my breast plate after a fall?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Fell during a 50k run. Sharp pain in chest under right breast...maybe fell onto a rock. Hurt bad for 30 seconds, then stopped for about 15 minutes. Slowly started hurting more, difficult to sleep. Yesterday it was almost pain free. Today, really painful. Hurts to touch breast plate, under breast, under arm, and to breath deeply. Pain does not seem consistent.
Posted Mon, 20 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Possibility of rib contusion or fracture. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us, I have studied your case with diligence. As per your history of trauma there is possibility of rib contusion or fracture. Rib contusion is not always visible on X ray . If required you may need to do HRCT to see details of injury. Pain on deep breathing also suggest rib injury. If there is lung injury then there will be increasing pain with every breath. I will advise to consult to orthopaedic surgeon. Medication like muscle relaxant and analgesic will reduce pain along with it use rib support belt. You may consult physiotherapist for pain management. He may start TENS, or ultrasound which is helpful in your case. You may need to take rest for early healing. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. If you find this answer helpful do not forget to give rating at end of discussion. Wishing you good health. Take care Regards Dr Vaibhav