What is the treatment for severe coughing with yellow and green mucus discharge due to sinususitis?

hello,I am a 54 year old male I started having a cough about 2 years ago only when I laughed and it got progressively worse and with mucus then the mucus turned yellow and green,I would have coughing attacks usually at night and would last for about an hour coughing up mucus,I finally went to doctor and he said I had sinus infection so he gave me amoxicillin 3000 mg for 10 days and a steroid pack and flonase ,well the coughing and green mucus came back after 2 weeks so I went back and saw a different doctor and said I have asthma and gave me a shot and 10 days of doxycycline and prednisone and that seemed to work, was fine for 3 weeks but then caught a bad cold with green mucus in nose and cough for 7 days and it cleared up but now have the bad coughing attacks back and green mucus again,what can I do I am losing sleep and getting worried about this
Posted Mon, 13 Jan 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: You could be suffering from allergy/asthma. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX, Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX You do seem to have some issues with your respiratory system. You have not mentioned if you have got any tests done. I would also like to know if you are allergic to dust, smoke or any pollutants. Are you a smoker? You should get some basic tests like routine blood count, x ray chest and a pft. You could be suffering from allergy in the form of asthma. It is becoming troublesome for you whenever you develop an infection. You should take inhalers like aerocort or seroflo and montair lc regularly after consulting your PCP or a pulmonologist and avoid dust, smoke, extreme cold climate and sudden fluctuations in your surrounding temp.
Follow-up: What is the treatment for severe coughing with yellow and green mucus discharge due to sinususitis? 5 minutes later
I have never smoked and have never been allergic to anything I know of,we have a cat that has been living in the house for about 5 years could it be the cat,thing is I have the cough and mucus even when we are gone on vacation for 10 days away from the cat
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: Get the tests done as suggested. Detailed Answer: You should get the tests done as suggested and consult a pulmonologist. The tests may show up something and even if they are normal, it could still be allergy and you will benefit from the inhalers and montair lc. It`s difficult to say if your cat is the culprit. It may or may not add to your symptoms. If required, an allergy test can also be done for which you should consult a pulmonologist.