What is the treatment for recurrent abscess in groin area with pus and foul odor?

Hello. I had an abcess near my groin area close to the crease between leg/pelvic area where the pelvic bone is. The first time it appeared was over 2 years ago, it was VERY BIG and I went to a doc to have it inspected and drained. After testing, there were no bacteria or infection found. Every few months, sometimes 6 or more a tiny version of the same thing reappears. Ive been to the doc three times now and they still have nothing for me. Tiny amounts of pus will drain out with mild pressure - draining sometimes from one singular place and other times from a different location about half an inch away. One suggestion was that this was a swollen lymph node but I'm not sure if that's true. Its like a little hard bubble beneath the skin which hurts (not too bad) to touch and the pus is usually white. This time, however, its back again and the pus is brown and has a very foul odor. I am worried because this continues to be an issue, and if it is a lymph node or an underlying disease or chronic "invisible infection" I don't want it to turn into something bigger. Plus, its uncomfortable and a nuisance. Do you have any thoughts or ideas that could help me?
Posted Mon, 13 Jan 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please, get surgical treatment! Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about this recurrent abscess in your groin area. Considering all the information you have provided, I am pretty convinced that you have a deep seated infection pocket(abscess) that communicate with the surface through the openings(sinuses). Its treatment requires a little more down routine wound dressing and antibiotics. You would need this cavity to be opened fully and treated to heal completely. The best way for this cavity to close is for it to be opened and allowed to close by new tissue growing from inside and occupying all the space. This is called healing by second intention. If this is not done, what happens is that the infection is simple controlled and the openings close. This gives a false impression that the infection has been cleared off of which it s not the case. After a while with sufficient pus collection, it will still force its way out and start all over again. It needs to get healed from inside out and not a mere closure of the draining sinuses to the outside. Please get consulted by a general surgeon, he would consider complete opening to allow for full recovery and not temporary relief. I hope you find this helpful. I wish you well. Thank you so much for using our services. Please, feel free to ask for clarifications or more information if need be. Also, provide me with updates as treatment progresses. Dr. Ditah, MD.