What is the treatment for pink scar caused due to intradermal nevus?

Jan 2014

Hi, I had a mole removed about 5 months ago that was diagnosed as intradermal nevus. It left a really thick pink scar that itches a lot. Yesterday I noticed that one area of the scar had grown what looked like a pimple and it had whitish material and blood in it when I basically popped it. I have put hydrogen peroxide on it and neosporin. Should I be concerned?
Posted Fri, 31 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hypertrophic/Keloid scar with Secondary Infection Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for posting your concern at XXXXXXX I would keep a possibility of Hypertrophic/Keloidal scar with Secondary Bacterial Infection secondary to scratching/Itching. If i was your treating doctor i would have asked you to take an oral antibiotic(Penicillin group e.g Amoxycilin in combination with clavulanic acid) for a week for the Secondary Bacterial Infection. A topical antibacterial ointment would help in faster resolution of the infection (2% Mupirocin is available OTC) After the infection has resolved we can do something about the Hypertrophic/Keloidal Scar. Various Options available are: -Intralesional Steroids(Triamcinolone Acetonide) -Silicone gel sheet dressings. -Intralesional 5-FU injections. -CO2 Laser vaporisation followed by pressure dressings I prefer intra-lesional Steroids for Hypertrophic /Keloid scars. It gives good results in flatenning the raised scar, decreases erythema as well as itching. The injections are given once every three weeks and usually 2 - 3 injections are enough to achieve the desired result. I would advice that you see a dermatologist who would tell you more about these and the best one for you. I am here to help you with any clarifications take care regards