What is the treatment for pinching burning in hands and legs, ear fullness and minor bulging at C3-C4 and C4-C5?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
Pinching burning in hands and legs, ear fullness and ringing, weakness, fatigue, difficulty concentrating. Feeling of closeness of left nose. Tingling below right side of the shoulder. Sinus shows minimal mucosal thickening at right maxillary. Minor bulging at C3-C4 and C4-C5 Normal PTH, calcium, little less vitamin-d Had lot of neck pain which is now better medication. Don't know what's going on from past few months..
Posted Tue, 7 Jan 2014 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Thank you for posting you query. Detailed Answer: Hi, I have noted your complaints and also the scan reports. There are mainly two different issues affecting you: 1. Cervical disc disease with pinching of nerves in neck- this can cause pain in the neck and arms, tingling and numbness of arms, weakness of arms, etc. Treatment would be with medications such as pregabalin or gabapentin capsules, and physiotherapy (neck extension exercises, IFT, ultrasound, etc). 2. Sinus infection- as per the report, there is sinus infection. This can cause feeling of blocked nose, headaches, discharge from nose, etc. Treatment would be with steam inhalation, levocetrizine and a course of antibiotics may be required. Vitamin D supplementation would also be required. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in

Follow-up: What is the treatment for pinching burning in hands and legs, ear fullness and minor bulging at C3-C4 and C4-C5? 1 hour later
I got it checked with ENT and they said no fluid is there. Already completed 2 course of antibiotic.. Pain is extreme in arms and neckline when I raise it after a certain height even to wear clothes.. Not able to find the cause cervical problem..

Brief Answer: Thank you for getting back. Detailed Answer: Good to note that ENT has seen you and given the antibiotic course. Also absence of fluid is a good news. You have mentioned bulging at C3-4 and C4-5. Is it on MRI cervical spine? MRI of cervical spine would confirm the underlying disease. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: What is the treatment for pinching burning in hands and legs, ear fullness and minor bulging at C3-C4 and C4-C5? 10 hours later
Yes, it is on MRI of cervical spine..

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 40 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thank you for getting back. Detailed Answer: In that case, the disc prolapse in the cervical region, may be causing pinched nerve there, resulting in your symptoms of pain in neck and arms. If you can upload the MRI report, it would be useful. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: What is the treatment for pinching burning in hands and legs, ear fullness and minor bulging at C3-C4 and C4-C5? 2 days later
I will upload the report soon.. The pain is generally switching between arms particularly upper muscles. It get worse even when I wear anything tight or heavy jacket.. Feels tightening around ears and at times base of skull.. Feels like clicking of joints at times.. Also on the back I feel compression and pinching little down the right should..

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Thank you for getting back. Detailed Answer: I have noted your complaints. These could be explained by the pinched nerves in the neck region. I think you could not complete the last sentence. In any case, sending the MRI report would help. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)