What is the treatment for pimple eruptions on trunk,back and extremities?

I have itchy, red pimple like on my stomach, back, thighs arms and shins. I used a steam bath and sauna a few weeks ago but these symptoms just occur within the last week. Two weeks ago I would jump rope for 30 minutes with a t-shirt on and it would be completely drenched. I would put on a dry t-shirt and a sweat shirt and not show afterward. I have been taking oatmeal baths and benadryl. The itchness continues. I've had these before on my stomach and my doctor said they were because of sweating and hair follicles. What is it and will it go away by itself? I have been putting hydrocortisone on the areas that I can reach.
Posted Tue, 21 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 1 hour later
Brief Answer: You may be having prurigo simplex. Detailed Answer: Hi, After reading history and seeing photos,it seems that you may be having prurigo simplex. There are pruritic papular eruptions on trunk,back and extremities. Itching may be intense.When it is rubbed and scratched, erosion or crust forms. Subacute prurigo is intractable and may become chronic. The etiology is unknown. A primary disease such as atopic dermatitis, diabetes, liver dysfunction, lymphoma, leukemia, Hodgkin’s disease, internal malignancy, polycythemia, gout, uremia....etc may be responsible. I think in your case diabetes may be responsible. Investigations may be done to rule out all suspected causes.Mental stress has also been pointed out as associated with onset.. Sweating may exacerbate the prurigo simplex lesions. You consult dermatologist to have perfect diagnosis. Eradication of cause may be important to improve the condition. In your case DM should be kept under control. And mental stress should be reduced. Relaxation procedures,psychodynamic psychotherapy and behaviour therapy are beneficial for prurigo simplex. Antihistaminics like levocetirizine, desloratidine and fexofenadine may be taken. Local application of steroid cream like mometasone may be helpful to reduce the lesions. Anxiolytic like fluoxetin 10 mg daily may be taken to reduce mental stress. I hope you got my answer. Still, any query..please ask. Thanks. Dr. Ilyas Patel MD
Follow-up: What is the treatment for pimple eruptions on trunk,back and extremities? 29 minutes later
I was waking up late at night with a sweat drench t-shirts for almost a week before this occur. Would that cause it? I am taken Benadryl and planning on taking an Epsom salt bath. Will that help with the itchiness? Could this be Pseudomonas Folliculitis? When I've had it on my stomach, my doctor said that it was from taking hot showers. If I do nothing, will it go away by itself without taking medication? Is prurigo simplex common? Also, being in the sauna and steam room have any effects on it?
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 22 hours later
Brief Answer: Prurigo simplex is common disease. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome back... As I told you prurigo simplex may be caused by many things. T shirt you wore may caused it. Salt bath might reduce itching.. You may try. Sauna and steam may exacerbate the disease. Hot water shower may increase the pruritus. I feel it is not pseudomonas follicultis. Prurigo simplex is common disease. But, requires perfect diagnosis and treatment. Please consult nearby dermatologist and treatment. I think you should take treatment. Do not wait to recover by itself. I hope you got my answer. Thanks. Dr. Ilyas Patel MD
Follow-up: What is the treatment for pimple eruptions on trunk,back and extremities? 2 hours later
I work from home and have the apartment warm. I noticed last night that my skin is dry and put Cruel on the areas and felt much better. How long would it take to go away without any treatment? Also, I have had this during the winter months but not as bad as the pictures that I showed you of my back (I was scrubbing my back with a dry back brush which alleviated the itchiness.) Is the dry apartment prolong the disease? I read regarding Epsom salt that a diabetic should not take a bath with that. With my disease, do you still advise a salt bath? If not Epsom, what type of salt? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 14 hours later
Brief Answer: Salt bath may be used in diabetics. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome back. It is difficult to say the time duration to cure the disease without treatment. If the precipitating factors are avoided, the disease vanishes. Warm apartment might not affect the disease. But exposure to sun might exacerbate. Salt bath may improve. It may be used in diabetics. Thanks. Dr. Ilyas Patel MD