What is the treatment for person suffered brain stroke, no motion in side of body with blurred speech?

Nov 2013

Hi Doctor, My father aged 64 years suffered a brain stroke on 30th Oct . he was admitted to hospital but hospital failed t give the initial treatment of TPA in 1st 3 hrs. Later he was kept in ICU for 9 days and relased from hospital in 15 days in total. His current condition :- No able to move his right side, Slurred speech , Old memory is intact but forgets lastest happenings. 3 MRI's done in total :- 1st one says :- Multifocal small acute lacunar infarcts are seen in left frontal subcortical and periventricular white matter and right frontal parafalcine region. chronic ischemic nonspecific changes are seen in bilateral fronto - parietal white matter and right thalamo - ganglionic region His Physiotherapy is going on but we don't see any improvement and its been a month now.
Posted Fri, 20 Dec 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi Mr XXXXXXX Chawla, Thank you for writing about your father's health problem. It is unfortunate that he suffered a brain stroke, and the thrombolytic therapy with tPA (tissue plasminogen activator) could not be given to him. TPA is the only medicine that helps in good and fast improvement of stroke patients, and can now be given upto four and a half hours after stroke symptom onset. He suffered stroke of left side of brain, and that explains his right sided weakness and difficulty in speaking, as speech is also controlled by the left side of brain. At this stage, treatment would be mainly speech therapy and physiotherapy. Medications would include blood thinners such as aspirin and clopidogrel and statins (such as atorvastatin or rosuvastatin). These medicines prevent the recurrence of new brain strokes. In addition, his BP and sugar should be kept under control. However, we expect slow and gradual improvement, and it may take several months for him to show any meaningful recovery. I hope my reply has helped. I would be pleased to answer, if you have any follow up queries or if you require any further information. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, For DIRECT QUERY to me: My blog:
Follow-up: What is the treatment for person suffered brain stroke, no motion in side of body with blurred speech? 2 days later
Hi Doctor, Thanks for your reply. Physiotherapy is going on currently...His speech is not completely gone and he speaks whenever he has the willingness to speak else the only things that comes out is sluggish words. Last 2 days he has started acting really weird, He started crying at night and asked to switch off the light when the lights were already switched off. He became very abusive 2 days back and said few wrong things ,generally he speaks randomly in night which does not make any sense to us. I am really this all normal and happens in Brain stroke cases or father has some other symptoms. If you want I can attach his MRI report and Discharge Summary with Medicines that are going on right now to give you more insight. What I understand from the reports is that he has Acute Lacunar infarcts and his frontal lobe is involved. Regards XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Thank you for getting back. Detailed Answer: These symptoms are not common with brain stroke, however, in some strokes, it may occur. It could also be the side effects of certain medications. Please upload a copy of MRI report and discharge summary. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Hi, As discussed, I am unable to add reports on my Healthcare magic account. PFA the reports that I would like the doctor to review and after that he can suggest me the right course of action and recovery time. Regards
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thank you for uploading reports. Detailed Answer: I have seen the discharge summary and MRI brain report. The current medications, which have been advised in the discharge summary, are correct, and they should be continued for good recovery and prevention of strokes in the future. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)