What is the treatment for perforated ear and presence of EBV antibodies?

ENT Specialist
Question
Daughter suffered with middle ear infection which caused perforated ear drum. Very swollen tonsils. ear infection slowly going. Was tested for EBV and glandular fever. No glandular fever, EBV antibodies present but so exhausted and depressed. Not sure where to go from here.
Posted Tue, 7 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: Local antibiotic and decongestant drops Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. Please use antibiotic ear drops along with nasal decongestant drops if the ear is wet. If ear is dry please use only nasal decongestant drops. Also please use oral decongestants and steam inhalation. Use antibiotic only if there are acute symptoms in ear in consultation with doctor. Most of the times things should be fine with this treatment only and if the perforation of ear drum persists then should go for myringoplasty. Feel free to ask another query. Regards

Follow-up: What is the treatment for perforated ear and presence of EBV antibodies? 1 minute later
Ear is clearing up however with slight ringing. Tonsils still very swollen but completely exhausted and lack of appetite. She is due to start Uni in 7 weeks and cannot drag herself out of bed. Did you not read the email. she has a perforated ear drum...duh...no drops.....she was tested positive for EBV. duh.....swollen tonsils, ebv antibodies - it's a virus...you cannot prescribe antibiotics for a virus....

Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 3 hours later
Brief Answer: EBV antibody tests come positive universally Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. Dear I have answered your query after reading your mail. There is nothing which is required for swollen tonsils if these are because of EBV. The symptoms resolve in 1-2 months post infection. But mind it, EBV antibody tests come positive universally and most of the populace is exposed to it during early childhood even in developed countries. So, nothing needs to be done for swollen tonsils, should be a self limiting condition. Only symptomatic treatment may be analgesics. With perforated ear drums, one can have dry ear or wet ear. Ear drops can be used in wet ears. This I did state in my reply. Tested positive for EBV, I have already stated above. I did not prescribe any antibiotics, I stated that please take antibiotics in consultation with doctor as not all antibiotics are contraindicated in EBV. I did state "Use antibiotics if acute symptoms in ear in consultation with doctor". Ear infections if acute should be treated with antibiotics as are mostly bacterial. To sum up, nothing needs to be done for swollen tonsils at present. Symptoms of viral infection should go with symptomatic treatment in 1-2 months. Tonsil size needs to be addressed considering different indication for tonsillectomy and if patients fits in to any, can undergo tonsillectomy but only after a gap of few months but from your history most likely will not be required. Ear drum needs to be repaired if it is a permanent perforation. Feel free to ask another query. Regards