What is the treatment for panic attacks caused due to family stress?

Hi,I used to have bad panic attacks during the middle of the night, i would wake up and instantly begin the attack. It was all because of family stress, i had it in my mid 20s and then again in my mid 30s and again in my mid 40s, it would last about 2 or 3 years each time, but now it has been five years and the only thing i can;t seem to get rid of is the fear of traveling with others or if i have to go alone and get caught at a traffic jam or light, i have a fear of being trapped and that i will have another panic attack again. I have now dealt with my stress and feel amazing like i have never before, i started a second business that is going very well and enjoy very much. I have dealth with it 3 times and 2 times completely healed from it, but this time im totally happy and can't shake the fear of being trapped
Posted Fri, 24 Jan 2014 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Saatiish Jhuntrraa 3 hours later
Brief Answer: You should better consult a psychiatrist right now Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for choosing WWW.WWWW.WW for your health related query. I have gone through the description given by you. I am of the view that the three previous episodes were panic attacks with depressive disorder which resolved completely . Did you take some medicines or it was spontaneous resolution is not clear? Now,I am happy to know that you feel very good ,started a new business but still suffer from panic attacks. You must consult a psychiatrist to know whether taking medicines is appropriate at this time because otherwise,they may stimulate hypo manic/ manic state. if presently you have no symptom of either of these and no family history of Bipolar Disorder, this is very much amenable to treatment. Any more queries are most welcome Dr Saatiish Jhuntrraa
Follow-up: What is the treatment for panic attacks caused due to family stress? 35 minutes later
I have never taken medication for any of my panic attacks except for this time, but i only took medication for 5 days as it made my attacks worse. The first time i had this 25 yrs ago my doctor would not do anything for me and i went to see him very often, the last time i went to see him he just turned around and walked out the door as i talked to him and he gave me no help, so i managed to deal with it myself all those times and i was totally cured each time in about 3 yrs each time, but this time the doctor gave me medication but it didnt work so i have been dealing with it on my own for over 5 yrs and i doing very well except for driving in traffic or with people because fear of having a panic attack and being embarrassed, is there any over the counter medication you can recommend for when im riding with people to put my mind at ease until i get used to traveling, something like Gravol pills?
Answered by Dr. Saatiish Jhuntrraa 2 hours later
Brief Answer: must consult a qualified Psychiatrist Detailed Answer: Hello What you are describing is a fear of getting a problem so you avoid to travel alone. I again suggest you to consult a psychiatrist , reach to a proper diagnosis and take treatment. All medicines for psychiatric treatment are schedule H drugs, hence only be sold on prescription by a psychiatrist. If I were to treat a patient with symptoms like you, i would prescribe a SSRI like paroxetine but if this is taken wrongly, it can deteriorate the condition, instead of helping. Thus I am emphasizing that you get yourself checked by a psychiatrist. Hope this is helpful. DR SAATIISH JHUNTRRAA