What is the treatment for pain and swelling in body due to rheumatoid arthritis and lupus?

I am 68 years old and female. I have Hasimoto's Thyroiditis and was diagnosed in 2000 with rheumatoid arthritis. I have been treated for 12 years by a rheumatologist from San Francisco who retired last year. I can't find any new one who seems to how to treat me. I have seen two, one tripled my medication and caused Lupus symptoms that last 8 weeks. The second one says I don't have RA, I am just old with regular arthritis. Most in my area are very young or fading out of practice. I AM IN MUCH PAIN AND HAVE SWELLING IN MY HANDS AND THROUGHOUT MY BODY.
Posted Wed, 8 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Follows Detailed Answer: Dear Madam, Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX Well looking into your problem I will like to tell you that rheumatoid arthritis remains a clinical diagnosis and physical examination is most important for making its diagnosis as demonstration of synovitis is done physically by pressing on joints , eliciting tenderness and warmth . Still you can get rheumatoid factor , ESR ,CRP done if these are positive then suspicion will be high . Anti CCP antibodies are the most specific test for us for RA. I will advise you to meet your rheumatologist and get your tests done . Only after establishment of diagnosis treatment can be advised or modified . Take care. Dr. Shruti
Follow-up: What is the treatment for pain and swelling in body due to rheumatoid arthritis and lupus? 21 hours later
I have had the tests done 4 times a year for 12 years and they are positive for RA. I am having a serious problem finding an experienced rheumatologist. The two I have seen are very young and do not seem to understand my circumstance. Given that treatment can only come through a specialist and I am working on finding one. Is there anything you can suggest that I do to relieve my pain? In the past I took methotectrate, but the last specialist I saw triple my dose and the result was I developed a drug induced Lupus, so I am afraid to restart that drug.
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 7 hours later
Brief Answer: treatment options for you Detailed Answer: Dear Madam Thank you for reverting back. Well, Methotrexate remains the drug of choice but if you are intolerant, you should not take it. Leflunomide , hydroxychloroquine are other drugs which can be used. A short course of steroids will help you control the disease. But this decision has to be taken by your treating doctor. Take care. Dr. Shruti