What is the treatment for ovarian cyst and how does 'norethisterone' help this condition?

Infertility Specialist
I have been on norethisterone for three weeks to help reduce a cyst on my ovary. I had to wait for my period to arrive after stopping taking them. My period came 3 days after stopping but it has been only light and I only had heavy flow for one day and light bleeding for one day....this is not like my usual period Does this mean the cyst is still there? Do I need a heavier period to help get rid of the cyst?
Posted Sat, 18 Jan 2014 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 18 hours later
Brief Answer: Cyst not related to flow during periods. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to XXXXXXX Cyst in ovary, is not related to blood flow during periods which comes from uterus. Normally after taking norethisterone, you will have lighter flow. Disappearance of cyst can be confirmed by ultrasound only. If its just simple (clear) cyst of <4-5cm, you should not bother about it. If cyst persists in second ultrasound, you can just repeat the same treatment for one more cycle & it should disappear. If it doesn't disappear after 2-3 cycles of such treatment, you may require some other treatment to treat it (like laparoscopic removal). Hope this helps. Let me know if you have other concerns. Regards.