What is the treatment for nerve compression due to mild annular bulge at L1-L2?

I am diagnosed with mild annular bulge at L1-2 causing mild displacemnt of the posterior longitudinal ligament and indenting the thecal sac . However, no obvious nerve root compression.
Posted Thu, 16 Jan 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Take precautions to avoid osteoporosis/osteopenia Detailed Answer: Hi Ms. XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. You won't have any problems, as long as there is no compression on the nerve roots. However, the mild annular bulge has caused a mild vertebral instability. Hence, the disc herniation is likely to increase further, PROVIDED you take due precautions. Do NOT lift heavy weights from front; bend forward abruptly or severely. Preferably, sleep straight on your back, on a hard bed (that is, without a soft mattress). Lastly, please have your Bone Densitometry test done to detect osteoporosis or osteopenia; Blood Vitamin D levels to detect deficiency (if any). Well-balanced diet and regular calcium with Vitamin D will prevent weakening or thinning of bones. Osteoporosis/osteopenia makes the bones (particularly the spinal vertebrae) more susceptible to collapse/fractures, which lead to compression over the nerves' roots. Consult your doctor at the earliest if you develop any problems in the lower legs (such as shooting pains, flickering of muscle fibers, sudden severe back ache etc..), or any bladder problems. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal