What is the treatment for neck pain suffering with intervertebral degenerative changes?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
hi dr i have just had results of xray and xcan of my neck, after many decades of increasing neck pain and little response to pain meds. the summary is intervertebral degenerative changes marked at C5/6, with mild central canal and mild-moderate right neural exit foraminal narrowing. plus, intervertebral disc space narrowing and secondary endplate degenerative changes at C4/5 and C6/7. also mention of disc osteophyte. mild facet joint degenerative changes bilaterally C2/3 and anterolisthesis of C2 Then my longstanding bilateral cervical ribs noted and pseudoarthroses betwn cervical ribs and 1st ribs proper bilaterally. Sorry about long question but my GP has not yet referred to specialist and i am wondering how bad is this? and will the weekly pain get worse? and is surgery possible? many many thanks..........i have had increasing physio, osteo, over the years thank you
Posted Mon, 10 Mar 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: I will advise you to MRI cervical spine. Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case. Due to compression of this nerve root there is pain associated with it. Your x ray findings suggests age related degenerative changes which does not looks severe. I will advise you to MRI cervical spine for better diagnosis For these symptoms analgesic and neurotropic medication can be started. Till time, avoid lifting weights, Sit with support to back. You can consult physiotherapist for help. Physiotherapy like ultrasound and interferential therapy will give quick relief. I will advise to check your vit B12 and vit D3 level. Pain will increase if you do not take proper treatment. Yes surgery is possible but you need to understand benefit and risk ratio. If nerve compression becomes severe later on then surgical decompression will give permanent relief. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.